Friday, February 6, 2009

Cable-licious ear warmer


I recently joined Ravelry, and in wanting to contribute, I designed this cabled-out ear warmer. Of course, when I started it, the weather was frightful, and by the time I finished it was 50 degrees outside (I swear, it was only a matter of days!) but it should be cooling down again next week and I'll get to wear it. Silly Missouri weather.





::Edit:: Free Pattern now on Ravelry! Go me!

::Edit:: Pattern below in case the downloads don't work:


Cable-licious Ear Warmer 
If you love cables, then you’ll love this ear warmer. I’ll try to make the pattern as specific as possible for beginners, because this is a great way to practice cables in a safe and loving environment. I use a plaited cable for the main, center cable and a two-stitch cable on either side to break up the width of the background.

I don’t hold much stock by gauges and yarn weight; most of my projects are trial and error. However, for your sake, I will give you my yarn and needle size so you can get an approximately similar result.

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco, black
Needles: Size Six

Abbreviations:
k – knit
p – purl
C#B – cable a certain number of stitches to the back. For example, C6B means slip three stitches onto the cable needle and hold it behind your work. Knit three stitches then knit the three stitches on the cable needle.
C#F – cable a certain number of stitches to the front. This is the same principle as above, but instead you will hold the cable needle on the front side of your work.

Cast on 29 stitches.
Row 1:  k29
Row 2:  k4, p2, k4, p9, k4, p2, k4
Row 3:  k4, C2F, k17, C2F, k4
Row 4:  work as Row 2
Row 5:  k4, C2F, k4, C6B, k7, C2F, k4
Row 6:  work as Row 2
Row 7:  work as Row 3
Row 8:  works as Row 2
Row 9:  k4, C2F, k7, C6F, k4, C2F, k4

Repeat rows 2-9 until the rectangle is long enough to circle your head.

Finishing 
I crocheted the ends of my ear warmer together, but sewing will work just as well. When you are finishing, make sure you put right sides together so that your seam doesn’t show on your finished product!

1 comment:

  1. Chouette, ca! It's exactly what I need for a friend's cold ears just as Boston turns from single digits to double digits above freezing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete